In 2012, the LA Times made an online database of 63 riot deaths. The links on their website are now broken. However, we figured out a way it can still be accessed. Click here.
The list contains:
Middle Eastern: 1
Three Blacks and four Latinos were killed in self-defense shootings. One Black was killed by a stray bullet from a law enforcement self-defense shooting.
One of the deaths is a White male who died in his home of a drug overdose. One is an 83 year old Black male who had a heart attack at his home. The LA Times says that these deaths are from the stress of seeing the rioting. However, this is a bit of a stretch.
Three of the Blacks died in car wrecks. The LA Times attributes these to the riot because they occurred at intersections where the street lights were out.
- Matthew Haines, 32, and his nephew were pulled off their motorcycle, beaten, and shot. Haines died while his nephew survived.
- Howard Epstein, 45, was randomly murdered as he drove his car. Someone pulled up next to him and opened fire.
- Aaron Ratinoff, 68, was strangled to death while grocery shopping.
- John Doe #80, a young White male found dead in a torched Pep Boys store.
- Kevin E. Evenahan, 24, died while trying to extinguish a fire set by arsonists.
- Ira F. McCurry, 45, was shot and killed while trying to stop arsonists.
- William Ross, 33, was found dead in a market that had been firebombed.
- Wallace Tope, 54, was beaten to death. Two Latino suspects were given wrist slap plea deals.
- Edward A. Travens, 15, was randomly shot and killed.
- Lucie Maronian, 51, was stabbed to death. Two Black teenagers were tried for murder, but multiple jurors refused to convict them.
- John H. Willers, 37, was randomly shot and killed.
- Patrick Bettan, 30, was accidentally shot by a co-worker while their store was being looted.
- Carol Benson, 42, hit by a car and drug to death.
- Gregory Davis Jr., 15, shot and killed.
- Kevin J. Edwards, 35, shot and killed.
- Meeker Gibson, 35, shot and killed during drive-by on a gas station.
- Paul D. Horace, 38, shot while trying to buy drugs.
- Dennis Ray Jackson, 38, shot and killed outside housing project.
- Howard Eugene Martin, 22, killed by stray bullet from a shootout between cops and gunmen.
- Alfred V. Miller, 32, drive-by shooting.
- Suzanne R. Morgan, 24, murdered by boyfriend.
- Ernest Neal Jr., 27, shot in front of liquor store.
- Anthony Netherly, 21, hit by stray bullet.
- Imad Sharaf, 31, drugged and burned alive.
- Anthony J. Taylor, 31, killed by a stray bullet from shootout between cops and gunmen.
- Dwight Taylor, 42, shot and killed.
- James L. Taylor, 26, shot in front of looted store.
- Fredrick Ward, 20, shot and killed.
- Louis A. Watson, 18, shot and killed.
- Elbert O. Wilkins, 33, shot outside a liquor store.
- Brian E. Andrew, 30, died fighting with police.
- Darnell R. Mallory, 18, died fleeing from police after robbery.
- Jerel L. Channell, 26, died fleeing from police after robbery.
- Juanita Pettaway, 37, died fleeing from police after robbery.
- DeAndre Harrison, 17, killed while shooting at police.
- Charles W. Orebo, 21, killed while shooting at police.